LL-L 'Culture' 2006.09.20(01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 20 18:27:08 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 20 September 2006 * Volume 01

From: Henry Pijffers [henry at saxnot.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Culture' 2006.09.18 (05) [E]

Heinrich Becker wrote:

> in my home aera in Muensterland, about 25 km from Dutch border my female
> ancestors used a "Stoevken" (stoof) too. It was constructed in the same
> way as you described and especially used for attending the service on
> Sunday in winter times. I still guess, how they kept it glowing on their
> 5 km foot march. Maybe relatives in town renewed the charcoal before
> service. Never heard about a test. Will try to find out.

This is what Webster's online dictionary (English) says about the
etymology of "test":

[Etymology: Middle English, vessel in which metals were assayed,
potsherd, from Anglo-French test, tees pot, Latin testum earthen
vessel; akin to Latin testa earthen pot, shell]

One definition given for test (English) is "cupel", which is "a
small shallow porous cup".

Van Dale (Dutch dictionary) says this about "test":

[pot of schotel van aardewerk, vroeger gebruikt voor het
kooltje-vuur in een stoof]

About the 5 km march: I think charcoal glows long enough for that.
But maybe they covered up the coals, so they kept glowing, but very
slowly, and then when they arrived, they removed the cover and blew
new life into them, so to speak.

Henry