LL-L 'Mythology' 2006.09.29 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 29 23:32:14 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 29 September 2006 * Volume 03

From: Paul Finlow-Bates [wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.09.28 (02) [D/E]

    From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
    Subject: Etymology

    >...a Sanskrit "Vatna", Wind-Lord

    Interesting! That would have to be *वात्न *_Vātna_. The base would be वात _vāta_
    'wind'. Is there supposed to be or have been such a god in India? I am not
    aware of one..

Ron,
It's while since I read Branston, and I don't have copy at the moment.  As I
recall, he was deducing the existence of such an IE god, rather than comparing
with an existing one.

Part of Branston's argument was that Old English versions of Germanic gods were
much less "human" and more "elemental" than the Norse versions we are more
familiar with through Snorri. To a large degree, Thunor *was* thunder, Woden
*was* wind.  He suggests that this is an older state of affairs, but it also made
these gods a lot harder to identify with for most people, and this may account
for the rapid conversion of the English to Christianity compared with the
Scandinavians.

Paul