LL-L "Philosophy" 2007.04.15 (03) [D/E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 18:44:22 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  15 April 2007 - Volume 03

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Demographics" 2007.04.15 (02) [E]

Wesley Parish wrote "Things which are impossible are equal to each
other." He managed to explain a joke that I thought very funny for the
longest
time, but never could explain. Here it is:

Q: Wat is het verschil tussen een dood vogeltje ? (What is the difference
between a dead bird?)

A: Zijn ene pootje is even lang. (Its one leg is of equal length)

Now, would somebody please explain what form of Philosophical Dialectics is
responsible for that conundrum,

Thanks Wesley. You made my day. Jacqueline
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Demographics

Jacqueline,

My first reaction was that it seemed like a koan (公案, Japanese kōan,
Mandarin gōngàn, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koan), a puzzling type of question
("riddle"?) used in Zen Buddhism, mostly in the Rinzai (臨済, Mandarin Línjì)
school, in most cases to point out delusions of human perception.  If what
you quoted is in fact a koan, I'd venture to guess that it targets the
perception of duality.

Does this response seem esoteric enough?