LL-L "Beliefs" 2007.04.28 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 01:12:28 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  28 April 2007 - Volume 04

From: Jonny Meibohm <altkehdinger at freenet.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.04.27 (08) [E]

 Beste Margaret,

Du schreyvst:

> The verb in standard English would be 'charm', I think, though there are
several regional dialects in
> which the verb 'hex' would also be okay.  Phrases would be 'she charmed
off/away the wart', or 'she can
> hex away warts', and sometimes 'she's a wart doctor' (an encoded way of
saying she's a witch/wise-woman).

Thanks!

On German TV we have a U.S. series called *Charmed*, dealing with some
witches and their power. Nice girls, them ;-)! Could be interesting to find
out if it derives from the French word *'charme' *or if it is connate with*
'shamanism'.*

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.04.27 (08) [E]

As a child in Sussex, plagued by warts on my two hands, I was advised by an
old countryman (really!) to rub them with a halfpenny. It had to be a
halfpenny, not any other coin.

I did it and then forgot all about it, until some months later when my
mother noticed that they had disappeared!. So she tried it on one on her
thumb which had been there for decades and it too disappeared within weeks!

I related this to someone with a scientific background many years later and
it was suggested that the copper content in the ha'penny might have been the
active ingredient!

It certainly doesn't work any more using a modern coin - apparently the
copper content nowadays is either non-existent or v v low.

On Anglesey in the village next to me was a 'wise woman' and people used to
travel for miles to have her 'charm their warts'.

Another old remedy was to catch a large slug and spear it on a blackthorn
thorn. As it died and shrivelled, so too  the warts!

Does anyone have any old rhymes for charming? I used to love the one against
worms in our AHD reader:

Gang uz, Nesso  mit niun nessinchilinon   etc
Heather