LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.08.07 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 15:58:20 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  07 August 2007 - Volume 04

From: Daniel Prohaska <danielprohaska at bluewin.ch>
Subject: LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.08.07 (02) [E]

*From: Dan Prohaska <danielprohaska at bluewin.ch>
Subject: LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.08.06 (03) [E]*

*Ron wrote:*

"It's not as though Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales ( Y Tywysog Siarl,
Tywysog Cymru ), tries to speak Welsh. But he was the first Prince of Wales
that tried to learn it, which he did at the University of Wales at
Aberystwyth ( Prifysgol Cymru, Aberystwyth), enough to hold his investiture
speech in Welsh. I hardly think he uses it anymore, and going by what David
told us, he'd be laughed at if he did.

He is also the Duke of Cornwall ( Charlys, Dugeth Kernow), and to my
knowledge he didn't study Cornish."

*Ron wheg, *

*One little correction Cornish <dugeth> or <ducheth> means "duchy". "Duke"
is simply <duk>. So it's <an Duk Charlys> or <Charlys Duk Kernow> for "Duke
Charles (of Cornwall)". *

*I don't know whether he has learnt any Cornish, but he is certainly aware
that there are modern speakers. When he came to Cornwall he asked people
with a banner in Cornish what it said and in which language and one of them
replied, it was in Cornish and he said he had thought it extinct and the
Cornish speaker told him "I speak it fluently."*

*Dan*
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language maintenance

Dydh da, Dan wheag!

What a treat to have you come out of the woodwork! It sure makes making a
mistake worthwhile.

I'm glad Charles went for the banner and asked about it, and good thing he
learned a thing or two in the process.  I'm sorry he is often underrated and
his (understandable) awkwardness and dislike regarding the media don't
help.  He strikes me as being rather sensitive, perceptive, receptive and
approachable with an intellectual bent, even as passionate about lots of
issues, at least as caring about stuff.  In other words, he dares to have
and display interests and opinions that are not manufactured by the protocol
and PR staff.  If you're a monarchist or not, as a compassionate and
respectful human being one has to give him credit for that considering his
circumstances.  I can imagine he would be approachable about language issues
now or as the king.

Dha weles!