LL-L "History" 2007.12.02 (05) [E]

Mon Dec 3 06:43:41 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  02 December 2007 - Volume 05

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "History"

Beste Karl-Heinz,

Thanks for your inspiring link!

Then Ron wrote:

> Again, those migrating "Flemings" of old prove to be a key ingredient
> of the glue that holds together our Lowlands.

So let's just hope them Lowlands don't fall apart one day...or we're to
blame :-D .

Something similar did once happen in Frankfurt you know.

Frankfurt Stock Exchange (Frankfurter Börse, börse < family name/house
name in Bruges) really took off in the late 16th century mainly because
of Flemish and Brabantish migrants who were religiously prosecuted in
their homelands. Massive boom of wealth and art...
But!
Later on, citizens that were less lucky (having debts) charged the
wealthy (Dutch + Jews + local patricians) with conspiracy when money got
depreciated...raiding the Judengasse in 1614.

Informative article about the Antwerp - Frankfurt connection here:

http://www.historisches-museum.frankfurt.de/archiv/antwerpen.htm

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: History

Luc, you quoted me and wrote:

> Again, those migrating "Flemings" of old prove to be a key ingredient
> of the glue that holds together our Lowlands.

So let's just hope them Lowlands don't fall apart one day...or we're to
blame :-D .

Right! It's always good to have someone to blame, to stay within the spirit
of the historical events you reported about Frankfurt.

And talking about conspiracies, what if all that Flemish migration is a
conspiracy to win the north as well as Britain back from the Protestant
"heretics"? Watch them Flemings! Besides, it may not be a coincidence that
they rhyme with "lemmings" (Mr. Wiki: "Driven by strong biological urges,
they will migrate in large groups when population density becomes too
great.")

Fearfully pondering ...