LL-L "Language varieties" 2007.12.07 (05) [E]

Sat Dec 8 03:36:31 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  04 December 2007 - Volume 05

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: Missingsch

Well done, Kahuna,

though I don't suppose the whole of it was destinated for us ;-)! Let me
have a subliminal doubt about the 'Meissen'-origin....

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Uh-oh!

Thanks, Jonny. Indeed, it wasn't meant to be for you lot, although I was
planning on running it by your little eyes later on (when it's finished). My
fingers were faster than my poor old mind tonight.

And, no, it wasn't the Kahuna's handiwork. What were you thinking?! He
wouldn't know Missingsch from a missile or a mistletoe if his life depended
on it.

Anyway, now that the cat is out of the bag, let me tell you that this is
intended for the corresponding Wikipedia entry. Please let me know if the
originator of the previous version is among us or is known to one among us.
That person tried, but it needed a lot of help. I didn't mean to insult him
or her, but I couldn't let it stand like that. In fact, I've already posted
a good deal of it and hope someone high-handed isn't going to reverse it.

The Meissen connection is a well-established fact. Named after a river, the
city used to be called something like **Misen(e)* in German before the vowel
shift and was called something like that in Middle Saxon (thus **Missensch*>
*Missingsch*). It's called *Misena* in Latin, *Mišno* in (originally native)
Upper Sorbian, *Míšeň *in nearby Czech, and *Miśnia *in not so distant
Polish.

Regards, good night, and don't let the bedbugs bite!