LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.12.07 (07) [E]

Sat Dec 8 05:38:07 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  07 December 2007 - Volume 07

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.12.07 (04) [E]

*'_abkündigen_'* to reject or deny responsibility? (A guess based on
kündigen, to hand in ones notice)

Paul Finlow-Bates

----------

From: Heiko Evermann <Heiko.Evermann at gmx.de>

Hi Jonny,

> today I learned two new words- one of them either Dutch or LS, the other
> one
> German.
..
>     1. *'_Miendientje_'* *neutrum, noun*
>     2. *'_abkündigen_'* (abgekündigte [Kollekte]) *verbum*
> **

Abkündigen is new to you? It is a very common word in religious slang, at
least in the Lutheran church.

The meaning depends on the context:
1) usually it refers to informations about future events, then it is
equivalent to "ankündigen" => engl. "to announce"
2) it can also refer to informations about past events, such as the results
of the collections of last week. One example is in
http://www.kirche-dithmarschen.de/einaus.htm (Context: people who leave the
church) "In einigen Gemeinden wird der Austritt dann auch von der Kanzel
abgekündigt." Here, too, "to announce" would be appropriate in English.

dict.leo.org suggests:
* to announce from the pulpit [rel.]
* to proclaim from the pulpit [rel.]
> Only the best of you will win....
???

Hartlich Gröten,

Heiko

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Johannes,
o Magnificent Master of Myriads of Mysteries,
o Potent Purveyor and Poser of Perplexing Puzzles,

1. *'_Miendientje_'* *neutrum, noun*

A compound consisting of Low Saxon *mien* 'my', 'mine', and *dien* 'thy',
'thine', all dolled up with dainty diminutizing decoration (a package that
would work just as well for Roland and our other West Flemish friends).

What does it mean? Easy-peasy! Naturally it denotes a divider (one of those
bar or stick thingies) used to separate different customers' purchases on a
supermarket checkout conveyor belt thingamabob contraption.

So there! Anything else, o Master?

Reinhard/Ron
**