LL-L "Resources" 2007.12.09 (04) [E]

Mon Dec 10 02:38:43 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  09 December 2007 - Volume 04

From:  Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Minority Languages

In our "Lowland Language territory" we have to do with minority languages,
influenced eventually (a bit) by our languages or influencing somehow our LL
languages even from within their minority position.
Often it is very difficult to get access to these enclosed language islands,
as e.g. for North American Indian languages.

In the Barnes & Noble in the Burkland Mall in Manchester Ct, I found (for
USD 29,95 minus 3 B&N card discount, + Ct sales tax):
Ruth Bradley Holmes & Betty Sharp Smith: *Beginning Cherokee*, 2d edition,
1977, ISBN 0-8061-1463-0, xiii + 332 pp.

Question: are more Indian languages from Anglo-Saxon N.America made
accessible to a large public by similar publications?

Regards,
Roger (momentarily in East-Hartford, Ct)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Thanks a lot, Roger!

I happen to have that book, though in a box in California at the moment.
There may be later editions, but I'm not sure.

Question: are more Indian languages from Anglo-Saxon N.America made
accessible to a large public by similar publications?

Some yes, and some no. Some of the languages have so few speakers now that
publishing is seen as less than feasible, and publications are usually of
the academic ilk and are *about* them, are not for the average person.
Language textbooks and primers that are relatively easily obtainable are
those of the "larger" American indigenous languages or those in which
research and schoolwork have lead to such publication; e.g. Apache,
Cherokee, Cheyenne, Chickasaw, Cree, Eskimoan-Aleutian languages,
Dakota-Lakota-Nakota, Hawaiian, Innu-Aimun (Montagnais),
Maliseet-Passamaquoddy, Mayan languages, Michif, Mohawk, Navaho, Ojibwe and
Quechua.

You still need to go out of your way to get hold of much of this material.
Some of it has small circulations and a lot is out of print. Several
universities and colleges run indigenous language courses and might let you
purchase their material if you ask them for it. Some better bookstores stock
textbooks for better-known languages such as Cherokee, Cheyenne, Cree,
Lakota, Mohawk, Navaho, and usually also Hawaiian. Lately, material for
indigenous languages of Latin America is being made available in English,
mostly Mayan languages and Zapotecan (because of tourism in Mexico and
Central America) and also Quechua (because of tourism in the Andes).

I've found some of the best books, tapes and CDs (including better music
CDs) in the market sections at larger powwow gatherings. Also, I find a lot
in used book stores.

Below are a couple of useful resource pages:

   - Alaskan and Northwest Canadian languages:
   http://www.uaf.edu/anlc/publications.html
   - Various languages:
   http://www.native-languages.org/dictionary.htm

Have a good flight home!