LL-L "Traditions" 2007.12.29 (01) [E]

Sat Dec 29 19:15:02 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  29 December 2007 - Volume 01

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2007.12.28 (02) [E]

About the Rummelpott song, I wondered if the original version might be in
High German instead of Low Saxon.

Why would I ask such a dumb question? Well, because the last words of the
last two lines, "Topp" and "Rummelpott" do not rhyme in Low Saxon, but I
guess they would in German: "Topf" and "Brummtopf".
Or is there no German or Missingsch version of this song? I even don't
know if German "Topf" means the same as Low Saxon "Topp" (English and
Dutch "top"). But still, I wonder...

Ingmar

PS: Habari gani, and joyous Kwanzaa to you, too. I doubt anyone in Europe
has a clue  what's meant by that ;-)

Reinhard wrote:

In Northern Germany ... people, especially children, would wear various
sorts of disguise, go from door to door, recite poems or sing songs to
request gifts (especially of food treats, adults of strong drink) and make
a lot of noise, especially with the *Rummelpott* (German *Brummtopf*), a
type of friction drum.

Here is one of the songs they used to sing:

*Fru, maak de Dœr op!
De Rummelpott will rin.
Daar kümmt een Schipp ut Holland.
Dat hett een goden Wind.
Schipper, wullt du wieken! weichen
Bootsmann, wullt du strieken!
Sett dat Seil op de Topp
un geevt mi wat in'n Rummelpott!*

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

The Ingster wrote above:

About the Rummelpott song, I wondered if the original version might be in
High German instead of Low Saxon.

An interesting thought. But if so, how?

The German equivalent of *top* (*Topp*) is *Zopf* 'braid', but *Topp* is
used as a Low Saxon loan in nautical jargon.

PS: Habari gani, and joyous Kwanzaa to you, too. I doubt anyone in Europe
has a clue  what's meant by that ;-)

Kwanzaa is an African-derived festival of lights that is also celebrated by
many African Americans and belongs to the US "holiday bundle" together with
Hanukkah, Asara B'Tevet, Christmas, Common New Year, Epiphany, `Id al-Adha,
al-Hijra/Muharram, and Winter Solstice.

(ending 2007 with a case of the flu ...)