LL-L 'Idiomatica' 2007.02.04 (06) [E]

Sun Feb 4 21:31:25 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 February 2007 - Volume 06

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Idiomatica' 2007.02.04 (04) [E]

Johnny wrote:
>Things are different with modern idioms. I guess one has to live in the
environment where these idioms arise to be able to >understand them. On the
list I learned that there are very different idioms even between the
different countries with English as >main language, and the same it is
between the different countries and regions with German as main language-
I'm sure I don't >understand all Austrian or Bavarian idioms.

Well, yes, some idioms are quite regional. For example, the German idiom
"Der hat nicht alle Tassen im Schrank" (he's got a few cups missing from his
cupboard) would be something like "He's a few fries short of a Happy Meal"
in America (freely translateable as "der hat nicht alle Pommes in der Tüte"
- actually, there are very many varieties of this!), or "Die heeft een klap
van de molen gehad" in the Netherlands (he's been whacked by a windmill).

If you don't understand an idiom, don't hesitate to ask, and then we can
think up equivalents in other languages. Maybe the most interesting
comparisons could go on the anniversary site, for those people who could
scream at the thought of having to read the thrilling tale of that
wretched wren over and over... ;-)

Gabriele Kahn