LL-L 'Linguistics' 2007.02.06 (09) [E]

Wed Feb 7 00:56:56 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 February 2007 - Volume 09

From: "Mathias Rösel" <Mathias.Roesel at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Linguistics' 2007.02.06 (07) [E]

From: "Bryan E. Schulz" < bryans at lodging1.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Linguistics' 2007.02.06 (04) [E]

Ahhh....Gabriele, your modesty underwhelms me.  Really!
If your 'big picture' doesn't include linguistics then you have many
delightful discoveries ahead of you in life.  Imagine all the families,
genus, species and other natural classifications you can now invent on your
own time.  Fantastic!  Let us know how it all turns out and how well you are
accepted in your technical world community of natural science.
Also Gabriele, as to Ron's place in the big picture, may I suggest that you
actually read 'the Wren story' for the meaning/content of the story.
Methinks you will see yourself as one of the characters, no?  Please respect
Ron's request to drop this silly subject.

 Hey this was an anonymous posting, right? And an insulting one, right? This
topic isn't silly IMHO. I have to second Gabrielle's alledged intention, i.
e. there is such a thing like *wrong* use of standard grammar. Dem Bauern
sein Haus may be colloquial Hessian, but it's definitely wrong high German.
In LS it would be de bûr sîn hûs. Current LS has no dative case, as far as I
know.

FYI, the term kanak-sprak was coined by Feridun Zainoglu who is an author of
Turkish provenance in Germany.
--
Mathias