LL-L 'What does it mean?' 2007.02.10 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 00:35:47 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 February 2007 - Volume 04

From: Ron Bronemann <ronbron7 at yahoo.com>
Subject: The meaning of "tho" used early 1500s in area of Jever, Lower
Saxony

Lowlands-l members,

What is the meaning of "tho" as used in early 1500s in the area of Jever,
Lower Saxony?

Thank you for your assistance.

Ron

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: What does it mean?

Hi again, Ron.

When I first posted this (under "What does it mean?" on February 8) I
responded as follows:

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Ron, and welcome to the List!

By the way, I'm sorry you ran into a technical problem right away.
Apparently you aren't the only one that gets rejection messages from the
server.  I've contacted the consultants at LINGUIST and hope we'll soon get
to the bottom of this and remedy it.

It's good to have you among us.

I'm not sure what tho is supposed to mean without knowing (1) the context
and (2) what language it is, East Frisian or Middle Saxon.  Could it mean
'then', 'at that time'?

In other words, you might need to give us a few examples.

P.S.:
It could well be that you missed it because you were looking for your
subject line "The meaning of "tho" used early 1500s in area of Jever, Lower
Saxony". I refer you to the relevant rule (
http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules-en.php):

Stick to the subject title
If you start an entirely new discussion, you are welcome to create your own
subject title. The administrator may or may not adopt that title. (The more
general the title is the better is the chance that he/she will adopt it;
otherwise he/she will generalize it.) If you respond or add to previous
postings in an already existing subject line, please use the already
existing title of that discussion thread as your subject heading. For
instance, if the current title is "Language varieties" and you respond to
what someone wrote about vowels in Flemish dialects, don't choose something
like "Long o and u in the dialects of Southern Flanders and speech habits of
young Belgians" as your subject heading; stick to "Language varieties," if
you like it or not. This facilitates sorting submissions at the
administrative end. If the administrator feels that the discussion has
changed or a new discussion has branched off an existing one, it is the
his/her job to give it a new title.