LL-L "History' 2007.02.16 (04) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 23:56:20 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 February 2007 - Volume 04

From: Jonny Meibohm <altkehdinger at freenet.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Dates'

 Hi, Ron,

YOU, who had been called a 'Professor' sometimes...

Does anything ring a bell anywhere in your mind if you get reminded of the
fact that today we have got the *16th of February?* The *show* should go
on!!!

Allerbest

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: Jonny Meibohm <altkehdinger at freenet.de>

Reineke, miin Jung,

weytst Du noch, wat vandoog vöör 45 Joorn passeyrt is?

Tou woyr ick 'n 12joorigen Spacken, un Du man jüstegraad 'rinne Schoul.

Wii haar'n 'n düchdigen Störm , un dey hett dat Woter 'rinne Elv un Weser
dreeben.

Ick kreyg in Stade natte Foyt, un Du büsst in Wilhelmsburg meist avv-soopen!
Tjunge Dii- wat weyr *DAT* föör 'n Schooden ween, wenn wii twey ne överleevt
haar'n, wa' ;-)?! Keyn haar denn noch Platt snakken kunnt ;-)?! Un al de
neyen Wöör- de haar'n wii vandoog amend gonne...

Ick schriiv jüst van de groude Störmflout van 1962. Sünd öber 200 Lüüd bii
avv-soopen.

Allerbest

Jonny Meibohm.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <asassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Wees' bedankt daar voer, Jonny.  Besinnen dou ik my klaar un duydlich, man
bloots dat datum har ik vergeten.

Folks, Jonny had the kindness (?) to remind me that exactly 45 years ago
today (European time, tomorrow American time) there was a terrible flood at
the Lower Elbe and elsewhere along the North Sea coast in which my part of
Hamburg was one of those hardest hit.

How could I forget waking up and seeing motorcars leaning against the house
while standing on their submerged tails, parts of garages, sheds and houses
floating down the street, my first real-life sight of human corpses, my
first helicopter ride (compliments of the Royal Army), weeks without power
and warmth, hundreds of people lost, many never to be found ...?

This was dicussed several times on Lowlands-L; e.g.:
http://tinyurl.com/2mktbk
http://tinyurl.com/32bmyy
<http://tinyurl.com/2mktbk>
Kumpelmenten,
Reinhard/Ron

Also (with many photos of my neighborhood):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_1962

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmflut_1962

http://www.lauritzen-hamburg.de/flut_wilhelmsburg.html
(Make your cursor hover over some of the pictures to see the same places as
they look now.)