LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.07 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 22:13:02 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 January 2007 - Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

I wrote wrote re the greeting Moin and ought to have reiterated that this
greeting can be used anytime of the day, not only in the morning.  This just
to add to the doubts that it was derived from Morgen.

Even if it is a relatively new greeting as far as its widespread use is
concerned, it does not preclude it having been used in earlier times in
certain dialects.