LL-L 'Website' 2007.01.08 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 21:44:32 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 08 January 2007 - Volume 06

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Website

Lowlanders,

I wrote:

<quote>

Talking about websites ... we (the Team) are considering revamping our main
website ( http://www.lowlands-l.net/) to make its look harmonize with that
of the anniversary site.  We need suitable pictures and have decided to have
a competition amongst Lowlands-L members and their associates.  So here's a
chance for you photographs and artists out there.

We need one picture or a collage of no more than three pictures for the top
panel.  These must be suitable for insertion into the panel which has the
dimensions of 820 x 120 pixels, 11.389 x 1.667", or 28.93 x 4.93 cm  (at 76
dpi).  (Please see the anniversary page to get an idea:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/ .)

We need one suitable picture each for the welcoming pages (
http://www.lowlands-l.net/languages.php).

There should be no copyright conflicts. So we need permission from you if
your pictures are chosen or from the person from whom you acquire pictures.

Rural scenes, windmills etc. are fine.  But please bear in mind that the
Lowlands as we know them are more diverse than that and are not necessarily
stuck in history either.  The real challenge is to come up with a single
picture that pretty much covers or represents it all, alternatively a
collage of no more than three pictures. To give you an idea let me throw out
there the possibility of Lowlands-specific landscapes or historic buildings
or costumes contrasting with something representing the 21st century within
the same picture.  Please also bear in mind that the Lowlands include places
like Australia, New Zealand and Southern Africa.

For the welcoming pages in various languages (
http://www.lowlands-l.net/languages.php) we need one or two pictures each
that represent the places and communities -- again hopefully not tired old
stereotypes but stuff that "pops" a bit.

Please send your pictures to lowlands.list at gmail.com under the subject
header "LL-L Pictures".  If they are very large (and thus gobble up a lot of
memory), please send us small versions first, and we will ask for larger
versions if we select them for this or later projects. Please also let us
know about the permission part and whether or not we are allowed to publish
credits.

</quote>

Two Lowlanders have submitted pictures so far.  Thanks!  I am keeping their
names secret for now.

I have posted their submissions in smaller sizes on the following temporary
page, in the order of theme:

http://lowlands-l.net/pics/

I will add submissions as the arrive.

On a personal note, I am quite taken by the metaphorical power of one of
them.

If you wish to comment on the submissions on the List, please do so under
the subject heading "Website".

Kudos to Elsie for having come up with the idea of a contest!