LL-L "Events" 2007.07.01 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 20:22:25 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  01 July 2007 - Volume 05

From: "Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc." <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Events" 2007.07.01 (03) [E]

 > From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Events
> I wrote under "Administrativia" today:
Welcome to July 2007! Already?! Can you believe that the longest/shortest
day of the year has come and gone already and that here in the US we are
getting ready for our national holiday (July 4) again?
> And our Canadian Lowlanders are celebrating their country's 140th Canada
Day today.

> Happy birthday, Canada!
> Joyeux anniversaire, Canada !
> Reinhard/Ron

I got an invitation by the new US ambassador in Brussels, Mr Sam Fox, for a
reception at the US Embassy on July 4th. (I'm in Oxford, UK, next week, so I
unfortunately cannot go there).
On the invitation I read:
*... commemorates the adoption of the declaration of independence... on July
4, 1776*
*... formal celebrations only became common after the war of 1812...*
It still a long time, but shouldn't we set-up something for celebrating the
end of that war, with the *Treaty of Ghent* (Belgium) signed on *December
24, 1814*. We still have 7 years for preparation.
cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Ghent
and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812
cf. also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghent

Regards,