LL-L "Orthography" 2007.07.06 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 14:51:14 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 July 2007 - Volume 03

From: "Brooks, Mark" <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2007.07.06 (02) [E]

Ron asked: "Does this mean that the word is being reanalyzed as a single
word…"

In my opinion, yes.  When I say it, I don't think of it as a two word
construct.  I think of it more like an adjective or an adverb.
Mark Brooks

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

Thanks, Mark.

Interesting, the use of "adjective" here, considering that there is an
intervening "of" in noun-modifying cases, as in "a lot of stuff."

Well ... at second thought ... there's the analogy of "plenty of".  Even if
"plenty" could be argued to be a noun here, I hardly think people perceive
it as such ... similarly "enough of that stuff."

Musing ...