LL-L "Genetics" 2007.07.06 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:34:51 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 July 2007 - Volume 05

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Genetics" 2007.07.06 (01) [E/German]

The problem with Y-Chromosome descent is that is indicates father-to-son
descent only.  That line is just one of a vast number of lines (father-son -
daughter-daughter-son etc.) that contribute just as much to the overall
genes of a person.  Thus only a tiny proportion of the modern gene pool
might actually be "Bronze Age".  I would also question whether this is
really "die längste Stammbaumlinie der Welt ";  asimilar exercise in the
Cheddar area of Dorset supposedly establishes a continuity back to at least
Neotlithic times.

But if you want a good argument, get into genes. The head of steam raised on
other sites I belong to when this comes up is unbelievable!

Paul Finlow-Bates

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com >
Subject: Genetics

Thanks, Jonny and Paul.

I freely admit that genetics is not my strong suit, to say the least, but it
does interest me these days with regard to historical migration and also
language.

It may be hard to believe at my age, but recently I (finally) found out what
my blood type is: B+.  It is a fairly rarely occurring type in Western
Europe and also in the US (7-8%, 7.4% here in Seattle) and Australia (8%),
including the UK (8%) and the Netherlands' "Dutch" (9%).  Fascinatingly, the
occurrence rate goes up as you go eastward in Eurasia.  So Germans (who have
absorbed many Slavs) has 11%, Austrians (who also absorbed many Slavs) 13%,
Poles 14%, Hungarians (Magyars) 16%, Finns 18%, Romanians 19%, Estonians
23%, Russians 23%,   etc.  The highest concentrations (25%-40%) are in
Western Central Asia (especially among Mongolic peoples such as Buryat and
Kalmuck and Turkic peoples such as Tatar and Bashkir) and in Eastern Asia
(including Ainu with 32% vs Japanese with 22%).  There is also a band of
fairly high concentration across Africa from roughly Ethiopia to West
Africa, but low concentrations elsewhere in Africa.  Then, in the South
Pacific concentrations are very low (though high in the Philippines!) and,
amazingly, they are rarely more than 0% among Australian and American
aboriginal people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/anthro.palomar.edu/vary/vary_3.htm
http://www.bloodbook.com/world-abo.html