LL-L "Language politics" 2007.07.10 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 14:30:39 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  10 July 2007 - Volume 03

From: "Bryan E. Schulz" <bryans at lodging1.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.07.09 (05) [E]

 Luc Hellinckx wrote:
 All it takes is one "leader" in a clique who tags something
uncool, and "de facto", by definition, it IS uncool :-D , no matter what
the rest of society thinks.

Reinhard/Ron wrote:
How can you come up with "snazzy" and "trendy" publications and performances
in minority languages when it is assumed that there's no money to be made?
This is where I always receive some of my harshest personal criticism.  My
position is that the two ugliest institutions in this matter are the
American/British 'news' media and film (Hollywood) industry.  Their agenda
is to make money at truly any cost even if it means the mockery and
destruction of  languages or the moral codes of ANY country.  The demand for
their products continues without restraint.  Curiously, they have been given
a carte blanche to present any crude, vulgar and offensive theme in their
product and yet there is no refusal from the populace that is being
destroyed.  A friend of mine who is an actor and a director of films in
Europe, tries continually to promote films in languages other than English.
He is not rich from his work let me assure you.

Thus, my point is that the 'leader(s)' in this fiasco is the
American/British 'news' media and film (Hollywood) industry.  They have
indeed made billions of dollars at the expense of almost the entire world.
They truly attack, slander and mock anything that is not to their liking
including languages other than the Queen's  English.   Look at some of the
films, even recently,  where the people portrayed from non-english countries
invariably speak in English with a heavy British accent.  Absolutely
absurd!  Hollywood intentionally makes Danish, Low Saxon, Afrikaan etc...
look stupid and, by association also the people that speak these languages.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Thanks, Bryan.

What you outlined is certainly a large part of the picture, but I don't
think it's the whole picture.

European editors routinely disregard minority languages, and even minority
book publishers routinely reject works that don't fall into the clearly
defined area of traditional genres and subject areas.

Perhaps this is where "movements" such as Open Source and other forms of
non-commercial online activities come in, or even alternative commercial
ventures.