LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.20 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 19:34:13 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  20 July 2007 - Volume 03

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.20 (01) [E]

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser  <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.19 (04) [E]

Hi all,

[...]

Other euphemisms that he is aware of are: Kot (God),
maaifoelie (mother f***), moervaring (mother f***),
blikslater (bliksem), hardekwas (hardegat), aapstert
(a***hole), etc. etc. etc.

Goeie môre!
Elsie Zinsser

Elsie,

I'm trying not to get involved in this discussion as
I'm afraid to find out that my foul language is a
superior kind.

But 'blikslater' reminds me a lot of dutch
'blikskaters'; a soft expression now outdated but
still to be found in childrenbooks written before the
1940's.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk"

Sandy Fleming wrote

However, none of the sentences you suggested make sense. A person can't
be a word of any kind! I think to make sense you'd have to say:
"His name was a byword in depravity."

This means that in depraved circles his name was a byword (ie, anybody
moving in depraved company would recognise it).

Or you could say (and it's an even bigger insult):

"His name is a byword for depravity."

This is like saying people actually mention his name to suggest the idea
that something or someone else is depraved, by comparing them to him in
some way.

Of course! I knew the sentences didn't ring true to my ear but I couldn't
work out what was wrong
I think its possible origin as being cognate with "Beispiel / Beispell"
meaning 'an example' makes perfect sense:
His name was (an example)  of depravity
The dodo is( an example) of man-made extinction

In which case is it really the case that a person cannot be the subject of
being a byword

Casanova himself was a byword for lechery
Casanova's name was a byword for lechery

????
Heather