LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.25 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 17:49:49 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  25 July 2007 - Volume 03

From: wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Style" 2007.07.25 (01) [E]

From wim verdoold  wkv at home.nl zwolle netherlands.

Hi,

In Dutch words like;
neder became neer ( nether)
Weder became weer, (weather)
veder became veer (feather)

and if you compare the Dutch words with their German sister words,,
you find more words that did this rather Celtic thing of shrinking.
In French and Irish many more words got shorter and shorter,
till they were to short and were…made longer by adding other words..

in Afrikaans a lot of Dutch words got shorter too, but I m Dutch so I don't
know much about it.

Hope this is of any help..

wim
----------

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>

I'm not sure if this is the same as what you meant, but in older Dutch
poetry a shwa was often omitted to fit the rythm/number of syllables. One
can find forms like and're (other), bit're (bitter) and such. I don't know
any example of consonants being omitted, except for -d- but most Dutch
dialects already stopped pronouncing intervocalic -d- centuries ago so that
doesn't really count as poetic.

Note that the omission of a shwa between consonants, unlike in many other
languages, does not occur in normal Dutch. As far as I know all dialects
pronounce andere and bittere as you write them, not as and're, bit're. So it
must clearly be for poetic purposes