LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.27 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 14:45:18 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  27 July 2007 - Volume 01

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Morphophonology" 2007.07.26 (02) [A/E]

Hi all,

I remembered this morning that the typical Afrikaans word for prompting a
dog to attack an intruder is "Sa!".

Could this be a shortened for "Sê!" as in 'the command is spoken'.

Incidentally the best word to chase a dog away is: Voertsek! a word my
children's German granny hates with a passion because it sounds so harsh. It
is the shortened form for 'Voert sê ek!' and showed its effectiveness when
a Barrington, RI dog wouldn't stop barking at me.
I hissed one 'voertsek!, and it stopped, turned around and walked back to
into its yard. And no, it wasn't a boerboel :-)

Elsie Zinsser