LL-L "Traditions" 2007.06.06 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 14:35:52 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 June 2007 - Volume 04

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Larry wrote under "History":

> Curiously the number four is considered unlucky in a great many Asian
countries including the south of India and Sri Lanka.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the long history of Indo-European
trinity traditions and avoidance of small even numbers that are
representations of "perfection" unbefitting mere mortals (for instance in
Japanese art).  (Uh-oh! I suspect I got you going now, John.)

Aside from the Christian Trinity, there are traditions such as that of
three-headed gods, going all the way west to ancient Western Slavs with
their God Triglav ("Three-Head").  In Buddhism there is the threefold basis
of Buddha - Dharma - Sangha ("Awakened One - Way/Teaching - Community")
which may be in part inspired by earlier Indian traditions.

From: john welch <sjswelch at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.05 (07) [A/E]

Marcel, Mark,

*Ich nicht sprechte, aber diese scheine interressant.*
*Could someone tell me the main idea of this post?*
"..Kom ons kyk na Woedan, die As, heer van die gode. Hy is die god van die
storm en van die slagveld,..."
merci beaucoup
John

----------

From: wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.05 (05) [E/LS]

Hi,

Not Moses, Jacob had the animals with and without the spots, they were goats
i think.

Its in the story about, how he got his wife. ( wives)

Wim  (wkv at home.nl Zwolle NL.)
[Wim Verdoold]

There are towns with spijk in holland too, and in Zeeland.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spijkenisse