LL-L "Traditions" 2007.06.09 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 19:47:40 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  09 June 2007 - Volume 06

From: john welch <sjswelch at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2007.06.08 (04) [E]

Reinhard/Ron,
You wrote that t>d is unusual, but apart from /Teut/, just in /ta-/ there is
:tag,tanz,tau,taub,tauch and taube. Tier:deer is consistent with that. The
chamois gamsbart, and Skt. "camara" royal tassel, relate to "kamelaukion"
Byzantine cloth crown and "kambuzi" (kambujiya =Fr."cham. beige"?) royal
robe of Babylon. "Kambujiya">"Cambodia" and in Brahmin Bali, Indonesia:
(quote):"The inner compound is complete with *magnificent
meru?s*<http://www.baliblog.com/news/archives/images/oct04/meru102304.shtml>,
bales and shrines. As many people know the higher the meru the more
important it is. The number of roofs is always an odd number with the
maximum possible 13. There are 3 very important merus honoring the 3 most
important mountains in Bali, with an 11 tiered meru representing Gunung
Agung and Gunung Batkaru and a 9 roofed meru represents Gunung Batur")end
quote).
"Meru" the temple of Angkor Wat may be :
"Online Anglo-*Saxon* Dictionary - Bosworth and
Toller<http://dontgohere.nu/oe/as-bt/read.htm?page_nr=660>   v.
*mær*, mæra. mǽre, es; n. A boundary, limit, confine, border:-Ondlong ðæs
mǽres *...* I. (of persons and (a) in a good sense):-*Dryhten* ys mǽre God
and mihtig *...*
dontgohere.nu/oe/as-bt/read.htm?page_nr=660 - 18k -
Cached<http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:b6KC9Vklsc4J:dontgohere.nu/oe/as-bt/read.htm%3Fpage_nr%3D660+saxon+maer+dryhten&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au>-
Similar
pages<http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2007-05,GGLG:en&q=related:dontgohere.nu/oe/as-bt/read.htm%3Fpage_nr%3D660>
"
Maere "praise" is an ancient temple in Norway, and derives from "mor"
meaning
"great. famous". "Bremen Dryhten"(/brahm/) and "maere God" seem to reflect
Brahma god of Meru. Persian "mer" : "added. friend".
Possibly, "maha. major" is also from "mor", as in "major domo",
"burgerMEIster mayor". However, another root may be "mi" meaning "principle.
contract" as in Latin "merx" :"exchange. merchandise". Scots "mair" is
"landowner" which seems to combine both roots.
Possibly, Saxons also had "maere" temples to "brahm" the gods.
John.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Traditions

Hi, John!

You misunderstood or I didn't make myself abundantly clear.

Yes, the German shift *d > t is completely regular (as is *t > ts ~ s).
What I meant to say was that it (this regular shift) is specific to the
German group (which some want to call "Southern Germanic"), that therefore
this group is unusual in this regard among the Germanic languages.  This is
why I advised not to use German (including Alemannic and Yiddish) words with
German-specific shifts as representing all Germanic languages.

I hope this is clearer now.