LL-L "Names" 2007.06.26 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 20:11:23 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  26 June 2007 - Volume 04

From: Danette & John Howland <dan_how at msn.com>
Subject: LL-"Names"

My wife, an American-born Finn, is another kind of Haagen/Hawn/Hahn. Her
maiden name is Hakkinen, which I assume means a hedge, park or enclosure.
John Howland

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Hi, John! I believe this is your first posting. Welcome!

Isn't the original spelling of the name Häkkinen?

Interesting! I'm familiar with Finnish häkki in the sense of 'cage'. I never
thought of it as going back to one of those old Germanic loans in Finnish.
(Duh!)  So I assume it goes back to Germanic *haga(z) 'fenced enclosure' (>
E. "haw") or *hagjō 'hedge' (cf. German Hecke).