LL-L "Anniversary" 2007.04.30 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue May 1 00:19:24 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  30 April 2007 - Volume 06

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Folks,

While you're all busily working on further contributions to the Anniversary
presentation (lowlands-l.net/anniversary/), please let me inform you of a
new addition: a feature presentation of another guest contributor: Hannelore
Hinz of Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany:

Low Saxon: lowlands-l.net/anniversary/feature_hanne_nds.php
German: lowlands-l.net/anniversary/feature_hanne_de.php
English: lowlands-l.net/anniversary/feature_hanne_en.php

Each version has different bells and whistles.  All of them come with three
short Low Saxon songs with audio files. I added my translations to the
English page.

And there's an encore: lowlands-l.net/anniversary/hanne_frugens.php
It, too, comes with an audio file and with my translation.

These are examples of performances of one of Hannelore's personae:
Treckfiedel-Hanne (Squeezebobox Hanne), a jolly lassie with traditional
leanings amd hoomp-tatah in her blood. The other persona, Schriever-Hanne
(Writer Hanne, which includes Teacher Hanne), occasionally ventures off into
not-so-traditional and more "serious" areas.  More about the two will be
featured on Hanne's own website, which is currently under construction (by
her et moi).

The nice thing about Hannelore's narration and singing is that they tend to
be slow and very clear, ideal for people that want to get their feet wet in
Low Saxon.  Besides, the recordings are studio-made and my mixing and
processing has not diminished their quality all that much.

Hannelore is the translator and narrator of the wren story in Mecklenburg
Low Saxon: lowlands-l.net/anniversary/mekelnborgsch.php

This and related dialects are very close to perfectly mutually intelligible
with Northern Low Saxon dialects.  So Hanne's recordings are useful even to
those that do not want to learn the more easterly sort.  In fact, I
personally believe that the Mecklenburg dialects lie in an area in which
Northwestern Low Saxon and Northeastern Low Saxon overlap.

Anyway, I hope that many of you will enjoy the pages.  Both Hannes asked me
to say "Moin!"

Kumpelmenten,