LL-L "Literature" 2007.05.05 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat May 5 18:37:26 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  05 May 2007 - Volume 01

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2007.05.04 (06) [E]

Dear Pat:

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

 >> Mark Dreyer wrote "who could possibly not know the origin of the
>shaggy dog story

and enlightened me!  The four scholars know this tale, it turns out, but
want evidence of anything known as a 'shaggy dog story' (with or without
canine) before 1946.

I wonder if it existed before 1946. One can see from the verbal tags that
the tale is steeped in the doings of early commercial aviation. As a kid I
heard it from my Uncle Chris, a fighter pilot in Korea, also virtually
unchanged from my Uncle Eddy, who retired some years ago as the senior pilot
of SAA, my American uncle Bud Tomae, a bush-pilot & petrochemicals
prospector from outer Montana, & my father, who in his youth did things with
biplanes like gypsy moths, & lady's handkerchiefs on the runway. Uncle
Eddy's was the tale as I related it, & he told it with the reverence of a
catechism to his ancient craft.

But I bet such anecdotes existed from time immemorial, only the shaggy dog
brought with it a plot of such histrionic potential & so mind-bendingly
banal a punchline that it was forthwith adopted as the masterpiece, the
'mastery' of which opened the tyro to the drinking company of flying men, or
perhaps the flying company of drinking men.

To Ed Alexander,

> Finally, they compromised, and laid a charge of making an obscene clone
fall.
 Ha ha ha ho ho ho thatisagoodone Ed, have a drink on me.

By the way, My Ruth holds that shaggy stories are waste of brain space, & we
should desist: Forthwith. so, I shall spare you all the delights of the
doings of Wally & Goppy, & Tarzant, & the Dread Mystery of the Monk.

Yrs,
Mark