LL-L "Honors" 2007.05.14 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:34:28 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  14 May 2007 - Volume 01

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L Hawaiian names

Hi Ron,

for a long time I haven't heard about the Hawaiian names that you used to
invent for the members of the group. The last update to
http://www.lowlands-l.net/treasures/kahuna.htm (it took me a while to find
it
via google) was on July 13, 2006.

For quite some time that was some kind of running gag in the group. Don't
you
do those names any more? It does not even seem to be in the navigation menu
of http://www.lowlands-l.net.

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Honors

Aloha, Heiko!

You may very well ask ... as do I.  Thanks for asking, anyway.

See, the Kahuna tends to be rather preoccupied back home on the Islands
during the cool season in the Northern Hemisphere, what with all the
tourists and beach bunnies demanding his attention, and all those couples
asking for beach weddings. In his spare time he's occasionally seen making a
bit of a nuisance of himself in the company of a certain Othmar, a Gothic
acquaintance of Arthur's and mine.

To add to it, he refuses to have his own cell phone. And forget about
e-mail!  So it's hard to get in touch with him.  However, I did manage, and
I used your inquiry to guilt-trip him a bit.  He said he was surprised
anyone even cared, and that it was always the same people that go beyond the
call.  He seemed somewhat grumpy and absent-minded but whipped out a name
for you, actually two, which I quickly added to the list.  So you are now an
honored member.  I reminded the Kahuna that lately there have been a couple
of outstanding new members, and he muttered that he'll consider them, that
in any case he's got to see more participation.  This is as far as I could
push him for now.

Well, Heiko, this honors list is meant to be for Lowlands-L members only --
privileged information, in other words.  This is why it is not interlinked
with any of our other pages.

Why, were you going to suggest we have a meeting in Hawai'i?

By the way, a couple of Lowlanders have mentioned that I have a particular
interest in Hawai'ian.  This is a bit of an overstatement, though I am
interested in Polynesian historical phonology and etymology, since it's the
largest traditional language group spread across water, has no ancient
written records and yet lends itself beautifully to reconstruction -- and
Hawai'ian is the member with the most extreme consonant inventory
shrinkage.  The Kahuna came out of the woodwork not because of this but
because of all the talk about "the big kahuna" at one point in time.  You
never know whom you summon with careless talk.

Me ka mahalo!