LL-L "Names" 2007.05.20 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun May 20 23:03:41 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  20 May 2007 - Volume 04

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Honors" 2007.05.14 (01) [E]

Kia ora Ron,
> Aloha, Heiko!

> He seemed somewhat grumpy and absent-minded but whipped out a
> name for you, actually two, which I quickly added to the list.  So you are
> now an honored member.
Thanks a lot.

> Well, Heiko, this honors list is meant to be for Lowlands-L members only
--
> privileged information, in other words.  This is why it is not interlinked
> with any of our other pages.
>
> Why, were you going to suggest we have a meeting in Hawai'i?
No, it just took a while to google the page and I was wondering why.

> By the way, a couple of Lowlanders have mentioned that I have a particular
> interest in Hawai'ian.  This is a bit of an overstatement, though I am
> interested in Polynesian historical phonology and etymology, since it's
the
> largest traditional language group spread across water, has no ancient
> written records and yet lends itself beautifully to reconstruction -- and
> Hawai'ian is the member with the most extreme consonant inventory
> shrinkage.  The Kahuna came out of the woodwork not because of this but
> because of all the talk about "the big kahuna" at one point in time.  You
> never know whom you summon with careless talk.
Well, I too find those languages very interesting. It is a very scattered
group of languages scattered over a vast space of water with only few
islands. In 2001 my wife and I visited New Zealand. (I arrived on September
11, 2001...) And we really liked the country. I also had a look at Maori,
the
local variety of polynesian. In one location we found a memorial plate
commemorating the visit of Queen Elizabeh II. The plate was bilingual
(English, Maori) and in Maori the name was Erihāpeti II. I also found about
place called Hiruharama (Maori version of Jerusalem) and I started to like
the language.

Now my question is: could you (or the Kahuna) translate the two names that
you
found into Maori?

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

You're welcome, Heiko.

The Kahuna went all out.  Please see below.

Enjoy!

Reinhard/Ron

***

Versions in brackets ([ ]) are older, those in parentheses (( )) are newer,
with the foreign-influenced augmented consonant inventory.

   *Foreign Place Names*

Original

Maori

Hawaiian