LL-L "Travels" 2007.05.20 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon May 21 21:46:12 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  21 May 2007 - Volume 0

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Travels" 2007.05.20 (05) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Travels
>
> Kevin, I do like "Lowlands Wayfarer"!  Thanks.
>
> Hmm ... For me it's a bit of a toss-up between it and "Lowlands
> Trekker" ...
>
> OK, I still like the trekker a teensy bit better, but I'd be OK with
> the wayfarer, as long as no one confuses it with "waylayer," or with
> "wayward" (though that would fit in certain cases).  We must consider
> folks with poor English out there.  I have a hunch that loads of them
> don't know what a wayfarer is.  It's a bit "old-fashioned" (though
> nice), isn't it?
>
> So what does everyone else think?
>       * The Lowlands Wayfarer
>       * The Lowlands Trekker
> How about alliteration?
>       * The Lowlands Local
> ;-)

To me a "trek" means a particularly onerous journey, at it's worst
perhaps through mud and overburdened with luggage (hence phrases like
"it's a bit of a trek" and "I'm not trekking all the way up there"), so
the phrase "The Lowlands Trekker" has all the resonance of a lead bell.

The Lowlands Sojourner? - a bit of a mouthful!

The Lowlands Wanderer?

Our Lowlands?

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/