LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.31 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu May 31 21:35:56 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  30 May 2007 - Volume 05

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.31 (04) [E]

> It's more commonly written "Piedel", but yes, it's a German slang term
> for penis (northern German and Low Saxon too). But I can't imagine
> they really thought "Beatles" sounded like "Piedels"... They sound
> close, but cause of the difference between b and p and d and t not
> close enough to be associated. Unless the Beatles performed in (the
> Bundesland of) Saxony, where b/p and t/d are articulated the same (but
> I guess they don't know the word "Piedel" there).
>
> Marcus Buck

I wondered, because in Viennese/Austrian there is the word "Beidel" and it
supposedly means (nearly) the same. In upper-Saxon there could be a similar
word, maybe with a halve diphtong "éi". I suppose that Piedel has something
to do with "pee" whereas "beidel" could be a cognate of Standard-German
"Beutel", so there's probably no link, as in Austrian-Bavarian "pissen" is
"bischen" and not "beischen".

Karl-Heinz