LL-L "Etymology" 2007.11.03 (03) [E]

Sun Nov 4 05:09:53 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  03 November 2007 - Volume 03

From: Ted < tedshore at sympatico.ca>
Subject: origin of 'Schore"

Johannes de Schore is listed as living near the west cost of England in
Lincolnshire.   I am interested in any insight into the origins of Schore.
 I am not a linguist, but I have found the following information from
various sources, and I'd appreciate any comments on the validity of what I
have gathered:

*A Schorre is a contemporary Dutch word, meaning 'areas of brackish, shallow
water usually found in coastal areas and in deltas. There are also inland
marshes in arid areas where the water has a high salt level because of
evaporation.'  From another source, a 'Schorre' is described as a Dutch word
that refers to that part of a salt marsh covered by high tides.  'Schore' is
an example of a Low Saxon loanword.  It is one of several words from the
areas of shipping and trading which seem to be from the Middle Low Saxon
language of the Hanseatic Trading League days. The Hanseatic League was an
alliance of trading guilds that established and maintained a trade monopoly
over the Baltic Sea, to a certain extent the North Sea, and most of Northern
Europe for a time in the Late Middle Ages and the early modern period,
between the 13th and 17th centuries. The dominant language of trade was
Mittelniederdeutsch (Middle Low German), a dialect with significant impact
for countries involved in the trade, particularly the larger Scandinavian
languages. Middle Low Saxon and Middle Dutch have many identical words, the
separation between the two languages was not as clear at the time as it is
now, and the British Isles had trading links with both Dutch/Flemish and
Hanseatic traders and artisans.  This means that some loanwords in English
could be from either Dutch or Low Saxon origin.  "shore" (suspected <
_schore_'?', cf. Modern Low Saxon _Schaar(t)_ ~ _Schor(t)_ 'coast', 'coastal
land','cliff', 'bluff').*

Thanks very much Lowlanders,

Ted Shore

----------

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Welcome to the neighborhood, Ted!

That looks like a difficult one there because of all the possibilities which
you have already explored.

Let's see what folks come up with.

Middle Dutch and Middle Saxon are indeed both candidates when it comes to
many Continental Germanic loans in English. Also, at the time the two
languages were regarded as being on a continuum, pretty much as dialects of
one language. Dutch speakers tended to refer to Middle Saxon and Early
Modern Low Saxon as *Oostersch* (Eastern), besides *Saksisch*.

At any rate, it's great you joined us.

Regards.