LL-L "Language varieties" 2007.11.10 (02) [E]

Sat Nov 10 18:26:57 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  10 November 2007 - Volume 02

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Member's news" 2007.11.08 (04) [E]

 Sorry brah, I wen forget ALL da kine pidgins was Lowlands (I come
Pearl side, but live long time up Makiki way -- mauka-side, brah, so
no LOW lands, so no give me da stink eye, eh?). Ain no way I go India
widout my copy Lee Tonouchi's Living Pidgin an' also Da Word (dat one
FUNNY book, eh, j'like wen we waz kids) ... So dat make, wat, EIGHT
Lowlands languages I gon take wit? Eh braddah, get so many! Maybe
betta jes go whole cheese and take 'em all!
Ok whoa! That was cool Mike! Was that Tok Pissin or Bicilama? I'm fascinated
by the English creoles, especially the ones down in the Caribbean.
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Ben, Mike, folks,

Apart from the entertainment value that pidgin and creole varieties tend to
have, I believe they are extremely valuable scientifically as well in that
they offer a fairly clear glimpse at an important part of language
development.

After all, there is no language on earth that has escaped contacts with
other languages, contacts that more or less influenced it and its further
development. So there is really no strict dividing line between "mixed
languages" and "pure languages," the latter of which are just a figment of
people's wishful thinking.

Pidgins and creoles (the former being non-native, the latter native) are
simply the most extreme type on a sliding scale, followed closely by *
Missingsch* and *Stadfries* types, followed by varieties exemplified by
Gullah, African American Vernacular (Ebonics). And English, Scots and
Afrikaans are not very far behind, then English of South and Southeast Asia,
then English anywhere outside Europe ... and so forth. Yiddish, Ladino and
the many other Jewish languages fit in there somewhere, too. If we care to
pay attention, we can now witness the early evolution of Turkish-, Kurdish-
and Arabic- and otherwise influenced varieties of Danish, Dutch, German,
French, etc.

One of the beauties of pidgins and creoles is that they show us the dynamics
and processes at the most extreme within fairly short periods of time.