LL-L "Language varieties" 2007.11.12 (03) [E/Hawaii Creole]

Mon Nov 12 18:29:58 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  12 November 2007 - Volume 03

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2007.11.11 (08) [E/Hawaii Creole]

> Da Kahuna tu. Hi oreddi wen giv yu an inoa `a`ala. Go luk, eh!
> http://www.lowlands-l.net/treasures/kahuna.htm

Tanks, brah!  trow party?! ... 'ole leo ... 'cauz get nomo say in da
matter? Or cauz rait so seldom. Fack is, me all waha ... get plenty
talk, jes' no ackshun.

Da Big Kahuna wen rait:
> Yu wen rait:
>> Go fo brok, brah! ...
> Ai wen trai fo ask yu no laik mek da trensleshen.

Yeah, I wen savvy da pragmatickz. NO pass on AN' NO pass back! Ke. No
like be one nochanic. So like madah always se: I might could chrai.

> Yu kan mo betta, no? So
> wot? Yu laik o wot? Chans um, eh!

Mo betta? No chrai ho'omalimali me, brah ...

> Yu no laik, ke, wotevaz.

Ke. maybe dis ma kuleana. (Chrai also mek da kine JSL an' ISL Wren.)

> Shuuts den, bra. Letaz.

Yeah, lataz!

** KEY for the F.O.B.s (fresh-off-the-boat) and malihinis (newcomers)
... present and future:
bra = brah = braddah = friend, chap, mate, fellow, ...
chans um = go fo brok = give it a go, do ones best, give it all you've got
chrai = trai - try
da kine = (a/some) kinda (extremel versatile, but also somewhat vague
expression in HCE, very common therefore HCE is also sometimes
referred to as Da Kine)
fack - NOT to be confused with fock!!!
ho'omalimali = flatter
ke = okay
kuleana = responsibilty / duty but ALSO privilege
nochanic = someone who is always saying/thinking "I cannot"
savvy = undwratnd (very common  in many of the world's pidgins and
creoles ... with Romance roots ... perhasp one of the contributions --
along with Portugues Sweet Bread -- of the many Portuguese immigrants
to hawaii)
shuuts den = yeah then
lataz = letaz = see you / talk to you later (HCE often has plurals
where standard ENglish has singular ... though I DOUBT that this -s is
the source of the affectionate diminutive discussed in anothe htread
of this ML!)
trow party? = an enquiry as to whether there will be celebrations, but
ALSO a potentially sarcastic reply of indiference (approximating
American English "big whoop!")
waha = lazy, all talk and no action
wot = what; o wot = or don't you; or isn't it, etc (common HCE tag question)
wotevaz = watevahs = whatever, it doesn't matter,m I don't care (see
shuuts den for the use of HCE plurals)

--
MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक

================

Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director
Ishara Foundation
Mumbai (Bombay), India

++++++++++++++++

माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.)
मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर
ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )

++++++++++++++++

茂流岸マイク(言語学博士)
イシャラ基金の専務理事・事務局長
ムンバイ(ボンベイ)、インド

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

An den?

Kē den, brā. Chōk mahaloz.

Mo betta? No chrai ho'omalimali me, brah ...

Wot? Mī?! Aznats!

Yū wen rait:

Da Big Kahuna wen rait:

Yū wen skrū ap egen. *Ai* wen rait dat, brā!

Lētaz!

Reinhard/Ron

An den?: (< and then?) Hi! How are things?
Aznats!: (< as nuts) Crazy! No way!
chōk: (< choke) loads of
mahaloz: (< Haw. *mahalo*) thanks
skrū ap: (< screw up) make a mistake