LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.12 (08) [E]

Tue Nov 13 04:43:12 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  12 November 2007 - Volume 08

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.12 (01) [E]

I'm not convinced this –s is an American thing. Don't the British refer to
Prince William as Wills? I've never heard anyone in the US call a William
"Wills". I am familiar with Babs and Pops, though.

There's also the –sy ending, as in Patsy (for Patricia) or Bugsy (I've never
been sure where "Bugsy" comes from though).

Also, Ron, I wouldn't necessarily call the –ster or –meister endings
"derisive".  They can also be affectionate.

There was a skit on Saturday Night Live featuring a recurring character who
referred to everybody in the office by adding various endings to their
names. It wasn't derisive, but the character was supposed to be annoying
because he was getting overly familiar with everyone. Someone would walk in,
and he'd greet them with something like, "It's Dave! Dave-meister! [pause]
The Davester! [pause] Coming to use the copier! [longer pause]
Dave-o-rama!..."

Kevin Caldwell