LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.14 (02) [E]

Wed Nov 14 19:58:54 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  14 November 2007 - Volume 012

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.14 (01) [E]

jonny meibohm wrote:

John (Howland) wrote:

> This got me thinking about an affectionate nickname my great-grandmother
bestowed upon me. When I was a child she frequently called
> me "Dannikins," derived from Daniel, which is my middle name.
I guess this to be a kind of 'double diminutive': the *_-kin_* probably is
derived from Western Germanic '-ken' (related to German '-chen'), like in
the famous Belgian 'Manneken Pis'= 'peeing little man', and additional the
formerly discussed '-s'.

In the Hamaland Low Saxon of my hometown Winterswyk (NL) it's also:
menneken <= diminutive of man, hündeken <= dim. of hund (dog), etc.

But I suspect that in "Dannikins" it may rather be a diminutive of Dani,
not of Dan.

Ingmar

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.13 (01) [E]

R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:
Subject: Morphology

Dutch has cases like Willem > Pim, Jacob > Coos (the -s
again!), Cornelius > Kees (again!), Gertruida > Truus (again! plus pre-
shift long vowel!), Wald... > Woud... ~ Wout...  > Wob > Wobbe.

Hi Ron,
I think Dutch Coos/Koos [ko:s] is from Kobus/Cobus ["ko:b at s] from Jacobus
[ja"ko:b at s], rather than from Jacob ["ja:kOp]; and Kees [ke:s] from Knelis
["kne:l at s] from Cornelis [kOr"ne:l at s].
As are Dieks from Drikus from Henricus, Teus from Theunis from Anthonius,
Thijs from Matthijs from Mattheüs, Bertus from Albertus, Jans from Jannes
from Johannes etc. So in those cases, final -s/-is/-es/-us (the latter
three all pronounced alike, with schwa) is from the Latin or Latin-like
official first name. Maybe a female name like Geertruida was "Latinized"
falsely as "Gertrudis" [GEr"tryd at s], hence Truus [trys].

Ingmar

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

Re: "s" after a name. I need to hear from people from (Dutch) Brabant or
Limburg. Somewhere in the far back lacunae of my mind I hear somebody from
that area say: "Ons Moeders". If that is true, might this be a case-ending?
Jacqueline