LL-L "Language use" 2007.11.15 (03) [E]

Thu Nov 15 18:28:43 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  14 November 2007 - Volume 03

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language use"

Dear Lowlanners,

yesterday evening I experienced a proof for the fact how important and
helpful it can be to speak a regional dialect- in this case *my* Low Saxon.

Late afternoon I went into my hunting district to look for some wild geese
for Christmas, accompanied of course by my dog. Due to the fact that she is
a young and not yet well trained 'Uutbund' ('*Outbounder*'; paragon??) she
got lost in the dark, chivying any hare or roe deer.

I drove around with my car for a good hour without finding any track. At
last I saw lights of an automobile near the dike, at the end of my district.
I stopped right after this vehicle and saw a shepherd looking into his
corral where he had fenced in his sheep.
He came towards me at once and asked me in an aggressive voice if I did miss
any hunting dog. I answered in an affirmative- instinctively using Low
Saxon.
The good man showed me any black 'pack' sitting trembling in the edge, right
within the electric fence- my missed dog which was unable to jump over the
fence in the dark. I fear it was a bad but perhaps educative torture for
it...
The stockman still was a bit upset, because he feared for the integrity of
his sheep, but impressed by my native tongue he calmed down and even helped
me to lift the poor thing over the fence.

Though obviously born in the region he didn't speak LS himself, but I guess
that if I had talked to him in Standard German the situation could have
escalated. So my native tongue showed him that I was one of *"us"* and
not one of those people we call *"Stadtfrack"* (literally: 'city
swallowtail', perhaps to translate as 'green wellie')- that ones without any
knowledge about rural matters.

What at the end became a friendly conversation about hunting, sheep and dogs
otherwise could have turned into any bad animosity.

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm