LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.16 (04) [E]

Fri Nov 16 20:40:32 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  16 November 2007 - Volume 04

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.15 (04) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Morphology
>
> Salew, Lewkster!
>
> > In Dutch, we call this a "koosnaam(pje)" or "troetelnaam".
>
> It's Kosename in German. I can't think of a Low Saxon equivalent.
> Anyone?
>
> > Why not a "pet name"?
>
> That's not "fancy-shmancy" linguistic, is it? It's supposed to sound
> "educated" so ordinary people don't know what mundane thing you're
> talking about.  ;-)

Then it would have to be made up from Greek roots, Ron, "cutification"
won't do!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

Sandy:

Then it would have to be made up from Greek roots, Ron, "cutification"
won't do!

Right you are. Let's see ... something along the lines of "onomatopoeia" ...

Noun: metharmchariterpnia or metharmchariterpnosis
Verb: metharmchariterpnotize

   - μεθαρμ- (*metharm-*): change (into), make a change
   - χαριτέρπν- (*charitérpn*-): delightful, charming, enchanting

Obscure and esoteric enough a mouthful for yer?