LL-L "Names" 2007.11.17 (01) [E]

Sat Nov 17 20:42:38 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  17 November 2007 - Volume 01

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.16 (02) [E]

 Another question about the Elizabeth>Beth/Betsy/Bessy:
Are certain language groups more inclined to shorten the front
end of the name [Eliza/Elsie/Elsje/Elschen
Elsie,

I was shocked to find out that Queen Elizabeth of England is not known as
Reina Elizabet here but Isabel! That sound so weird to me to think that the
brits are ruled by Ferdinand's wife? I see how it came down phonologically
from the Hebrew, but it's still strange.
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Hi, Ben!

Names of famous people are very often translated in English too; e.g., ...

   - Edward of Portugal < (Portuguese) *Duarte de Portugal*
   - Ferdinand V of Aragon < (Castilian) *Fernando V de Aragón*,
   (Aragonese) *Ferrando II d'Aragón*, (Catalan) *Ferran II d'Aragó*
   - Henry the Navigator < (Portuguese) *Infante Dom Henrique*, *Infante
   de Sagres*, *Henrique o **Navegador*
   - Isabella I of Castile < (Castilian) *Isabel I de Castilla*
   - Nicholas II of Russia < (Russian) *Николай II Александрович
   Всероссийский* (*Nikolaj II Aleksandrovič Vserossiskij*)
   - Pippin the Short < (French) *Pépin le Bref*
   - Pope John Paul II < (Latin) *Papa Ioannes Paulus Secundus*
   - Suleiman the Magnificent < (Ottoman Turkish) سليمان القانونى (*Sulaymān
   al-Qānūnī*), (Turkish) *Kanuni Sultan Süleyman*
   - Wenceslaus (~ Wenceslas) IV < (Czech) *Václav IV.*
   - William the Conqueror, William the Bastard < (Norman) *Gllâome lé
   Counqùéreus*, *Gllâome lé **Bâtard*, (French) *Guillaume le Conquérant
   *, *Guillaume le Bâtard*