LL-L "Names" 2007.11.18 (06) [E]

Mon Nov 19 07:28:27 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 November 2007 - Volume 06

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2007.11.18 (04) [E]

 Ragin is also contained in names like Reinhold, Reginald, Reinaldo,
Rainaud, Rainier, René, Rainer, Ragnar, etc.

Ron, I thought Rene / René came from reborn as in the reborn Christ?
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

And you seem to be right, Ben. Thanks for watching. I checked several lists
on- and off-line. A few claim the alleged connections, but others, more
"serious" ones, side with you, saying that "René" comes from Latin "Renatus"
meaning "reborn (one)".

By the way, does the following tally with your knowledge of your name,
provided it is Benjamin?

Source: Hebrew בִנְיָמִין (*binyâmiyn*)

It is popularly understood to mean "son of the south". But in the Samaritan
Pentateuch it consistently appears as בן ימים (or rather the equivalent in
Samaritan characters -- http://www.omniglot.com/writing/samaritan.htm). This
seems to stand for *bên yâmiym* "son of days", thought to be Jacob's
reference to his own old age when his last son was born.

Incidentally, German and Low Saxon have *Benjamin *(the "j" pronounced as
"y") as a noun as well, meaning "youngest son."