LL-L "Language politics" 2007.11.23 (05) [E]

Fri Nov 23 21:53:09 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  23 November 2007 - Volume 05

From: Mike Wintzer <k9mw at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.11.23 (04) [E]

Hi folks,
In no way do I have the scientific capacity to cast any doubt
when Ron writes:
"So the name "Toronto" is an English name of Mohawk origin."
With my (completely unscientific) FEELING I cannot but side
with Gabriele: To me Lütjensee sounds as LS as can be.
I FEEL with her that a bilingual sign Lütjensee/Lüttensee
would be absurd. What I am saying is: The goal of this
action might want to be amended: Where the current HG
name is of LS origin, by no means do we need bilingual
signs.
To me whether Toronto is a Mohawk NAME or of Mohawk
ORIGIN is only  scientifically relevant. Ron is a scientist,
no quibbling with that.
Greetings to all, Mike Wintzer

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

In the German sentence *Die beste italienische Küche ist in Bologna* (The
best Italian cuisine is in Bologna) *Bologna* looks like an Italian name
because it was taken from Italian, just as *Florenz* (= Italian *Firenze*)
is a German name in the sentence *Die besten Galerien sind in Florenz* (The
best galleries are in Florence -- English "Florence" < French *Florence*).

"Vienna" is an English name, not an Italian one, when you use it in English,
although its origin is likely to be Italian *Vienna*.
*
*"Aix-la-Chapelle" and "Aachen" are two English names for the same German
city. They are not French and German, though of French and German origin.
Which of the two people use depends on their language variety.