LL-L "Language politics" 2007.11.24 (06) [E]

Sun Nov 25 04:42:05 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  24 November 2007 - Volume 06

From: Heiko Evermann <privat at evermann.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.11.23 (05) [E]

Hi Mike,
> Hi folks,
> In no way do I have the scientific capacity to cast any doubt
> when Ron writes:
> "So the name "Toronto" is an English name of Mohawk origin."
> With my (completely unscientific) FEELING I cannot but side
> with Gabriele: To me Lütjensee sounds as LS as can be.
> I FEEL with her that a bilingual sign Lütjensee/Lüttensee
> would be absurd. What I am saying is: The goal of this
> action might want to be amended: Where the current HG
> name is of LS origin, by no means do we need bilingual
I disagree. The name Lütjensee has been fixed a long time ago. Please keep
in
mind that the Low Saxon language has changed over time. If the current usage
of the local people in Low Saxon has changed to Lüttensee, this should be
reflected in the new Low Saxon road signs. Therefore the only question that
remains to be solved is: what name do the local people use? From my personal
point of view this is plausible, to my knowledge "lütt" is much more common
than "lütj" nowadays. But I might err in this point and I live some
kilometers away from Lüttensee and they might prefer something other than I
do. Another example: Not from Stormarn: Oldenburg. Looks quite Low Saxon,
but
the usual form today for the second part is "borg" and not "burg" and the
first part usually loses the "d". So do we have to stick to Oldenburg, just
because one could argue that it is already platt? I do not think so. The
modern Low Saxon names should reflect modern language usage.

The new list is a real step forward:
1) To my knowledge it is the first time that such a comprehensive list of
Low
Saxon place names has been compiled and I know that the Fehrs-Gilde is
working on similar lists for other parts of Schleswig-Holstein, too.
2) The list has the backing of the local authorities, it is even published
on
their web site. This is of historic importance. The Landkreis Stormarn
officially supports bilingual roadsigns!!! Yeah!!!
3) For the first time there is some discussion about the place names. (Some
critical remarks about Bargteheide were reported in the Abendblatt.) That
means: so far, most people did not care much about LS place names. Now,
suddenly, they do care and where neccessary the list can be improved, and I
am sure, that it will be. Besides: most names seem to pass unchallenged,
even
here. So the work of the Fehrs-Gilde cannot be that bad.

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann