LL-L "Language varieties" 2007.11.25 (07) [E]

Sun Nov 25 22:45:55 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  24 November 2007 - Volume 07

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:
> To some degree this applies in England also (substitute "English" for
> "German"), though there will always be "accents." However, unlike in
> Britain, speaking non-standard language has not yet received the
> general nod of approval.

The general nod of approval in the UK? This makes me wonder what kind of
English, British teachers use in school.

Standard or not???

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Luc!

As far as I know -- and our British friends no doubt will correct me if I'm
wrong -- the educational system in British was tweaked quite some time ago
to be more tolerant with regard to local and regional language varieties. In
other words, teachers no longer correct students (pupils) at every turn but
permit use of local varieties. You will notice that even media reporters'
language comes in quite some variety, as does the English of people
interviewed, why, even that of members of the House of Commons. You are not
necessarily considered poorly educated by everyone if you don't speak
"posh," and not speaking "posh" may even allow you to win more hearts. You
may have noticed (even though you may be too young) that class distinctions
and stigmas are melting away in Britain, and the more relaxed linguistic
atmosphere may well be one of the signs of this.