LL-L "Language varietiess" 2007.11.27 (06) [E]

Tue Nov 27 23:21:05 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  26 November 2007 - Volume 06

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2007.11.25 (07) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language varieties
>
> Hi, Luc!
>
> As far as I know -- and our British friends no doubt will correct me
> if I'm wrong -- the educational system in British was tweaked quite
> some time ago to be more tolerant with regard to local and regional
> language varieties. In other words, teachers no longer correct
> students (pupils) at every turn but permit use of local varieties. You
> will notice that even media reporters' language comes in quite some
> variety, as does the English of people interviewed, why, even that of
> members of the House of Commons. You are not necessarily considered
> poorly educated by everyone if you don't speak "posh," and not
> speaking "posh" may even allow you to win more hearts. You may have
> noticed (even though you may be too young) that class distinctions and
> stigmas are melting away in Britain, and the more relaxed linguistic
> atmosphere may well be one of the signs of this.

No, I wouldn't correct you on this. It's certainly true that no-one here
would be bothered about the accent or dialect someone speaks in,
including Scottish and British-Asian dialects, as long as it's
comprehensible. Nor would they be bothered about it being
incomprehensible (eg Welsh, Scots, Somerset) as long as they're not
expected to understand it.

One no longer hears scolding about dropped "h"s, th->f/v or anything
like that. The only people I've heard complaining about it recently have
all been visitors to the country or recent immigrants. If a British
person reacted in this way to an accent, I'd prpobably try to connect it
to personality traits (irritability or something) rather than the idea
that people should speak in a certain way.

This needs to be qualified with the fact that my perception of the
oral-linguistic ambience is somewhat rarefied, but on the other hand,
being deaf, people often do describe other people's accents to me, and I
can lipread accents to some extent, so it's not all that rarefied.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/