LL-L "Traditions" 2007.10.04 (03) [E]

Thu Oct 4 18:00:25 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  04 October 2007 - Volume 03

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2007.10.04 (01) [D/E]

Ref: Lantern-songs

This is the version I learned as a child and repeated for some hundred times
with my own children:

Laterne, Laterne,
Sonne. Mond und Sterne.
Brenne auf, mein Licht, brenne auf, mein Licht,
aber nur meine liebe Laterne nicht...(and from the beginning again)

Extended version from Google:

Laterne, Laterne,
Sonne Mond und Sterne!
Brenne auf mein Licht,
brenne auf mein Licht,
aber nur meine liebe Laterne nicht.

Laterne,Laterne,
Sonne Mond und Sterne,
Sperrt ihn ein den Wind,
Sperrt ihn ein den Wind,
er soll warten, bis wir zu Hause sind,
Laterne,Laterne,
Sonne Mond und Sterne,

Laterne,Laterne,
Sonne Mond und Sterne,
bleibe hell mein Licht,
bleibe hell mein Licht,
denn sonst strahlt meine liebe Laterne nicht.
Laterne,Laterne,
Sonne Mond und Sterne...

Another very famous song:
Ich geh mit meiner Laterne
und meine Laterne mit mir.
Dort oben leuchten die Sterne,
hier unten, da leuchten wir.
Mein Licht geht aus,
wir geh'n nach Haus.
La bimmel, la bammel, la bumm.

I haven't heard about any Low-Saxon influenced 'lantern'-songs at all in our
region, because its origin isn't LS, as I think. And we weren't told
anything about any catholic St. Martin but that the origin of this custom
was the battle of Sedan at 1st/2nd of September, 1870.
But, yes- even here it's tried to be shifted to St. Martin in our days-
otherwise it could smell of some revanchism...

BTW: St. Martin's day is at the 11th of November- too wet, too cold, too
stormy in our coastal marshlands to make still a church parade...

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Thanks, Jonny.

Yes, those tend to be songs without end ...

I do know the second song also. Though we sang the fifth line like this:

Mein Licht ist aus,

We didn't refer to St. Martin either. Only our then small Roman Catholic
minority did (especially those with roots in Poznan, Poland).

We didn't refer to St. Martin either. Interestingly, they did in nearby
Olland (Altes Land, part of which belongs to Hamburg). (
lowlands-l.net/clara/martinsdag.htm)  I wonder if this is because the
founders of the settlement had immigrated from "Holland."

Martinmas did survive in some Protestant-dominated areas of Europe.  It's
quite a big deal in Estonia (Mardipäev "Martin Day").  This may be because
it contains some pre-Christian Balto-Finnic harvest festivals and the Day of
the Dead elements.

Kumpelmenten,