LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.07 (05) [E]

Sun Oct 7 20:42:17 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  07 October 2007 - Volume 05

From: Gary Davenport <gldavenport at student.ysu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.07 (02) [E]

The New Oxford American Dictionary, 2nd Edition, says: gigolo |ˌdʒɪgəˈloʊ|
noun ( pl. *-los*) chiefly derogatory
• a young man paid or financially supported by an older woman to be her
escort or lover.
• a professional male dancing partner or escort.
ORIGIN 1920s(in the sense [dancing partner] ): from French, formed as the
masculine of* gigole 'dance hall woman,' *from colloquial* gigue 'leg.'*

Gary