LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.08 (02) [E]

Mon Oct 8 18:35:25 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  08 October 2007 - Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.07 (04) [E]

I've kept out of the North German debate so far, as I don't think it's an
Englishman's business.
But as a native speaker of the most widely spoken Lowlands language, might I
cautiously warn:

"Beware of what you wish for".

Expansion of your language doesn't strengthen your identity, it dilutes it
.  Most speakers of English aren't from England, and many couldn't find
England on a map. (OK, many English people couldn't either!)

But my point is that the Lowlands/Norse character of English has steadily
eroded away under its international and scientific status.

Paul