LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.12 (05) [E]

Fri Oct 12 22:57:16 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  12 October 2007 - Volume 05

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.12 (03) [E]

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:16:29 -0700, Lowlands-L List
<lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

Why didn't Dutch, or rather "Flemish" as it was/is called in Belgium, have
any success in Belgian colonies or protectorates in Africa, in Congo,
Rwanda, Burundi?
I assume in that period, the first half of the last century, many Flemish
even didn't know standard Dutch very well themselves, what they spoke were
their Brabant, West and East Flemish or Limburg dialects and a kind of
Dutch coloured heavily by those. French, however, was a clear and uniform
language. With all the prestige Flemish was lacking.

Something else: French orthography may be horrible, but its phonetics are
not. Actually, I think spoken French is much easier, much more familiar to
most African ears than Dutch or German would be: French has far less
tricky consonant clusters, no ch-sounds, it's pretty nasal like many
African languages, etc. That may have helped to its success there, too...
When you really want to hear Afro-French, just listen to the creole songs
of Kassav' or Zouk machine from the Antilles. It's such a sweet language...

Ingmar

From: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.11 (01) [E]

 I believe that Dutch had virtually no impact in Belgian colonies.
Wasn't French the language of the Belgian colonies? French is the European
language of the Congo area, and French influence is all over Kokoongo and
the other Bantu languages.
Ben