LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.23 (02) [D/E]

Tue Oct 23 14:38:07 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  23 October 2007 - Volume 02

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.22 (05) [E]

Beste Luc,

Du schreyvst:

 >   * Rutger made me think of "Rötgen", which is common German for a
>      clearing in the woods, so this would match the original meaning of
 >    "the Rugge" perfectly ...problem would be how to explain this
 >     transformation phonologically...the verb is "reuten" (G), "rooien"
  >    (D) and "to rid" (E)...

Where did you hear 'Rötgen' as a common German word? I just found a small
town next to the Belgian border named 'Roetgen'. The common word for a
cleared wood today would be 'Rodung', older 'Rode' (as we find it in many
location names), and the verb is 'roden' with the old dialectical forms
'raden',  'reuten' (oberdeutsch!) and 'röden', as mentioned in GRIMM.
For me 'Rötgen' sounds as if it could be a special term of the Western
German(ic) dialects; the_-gen_-ending as a diminutive, like
-ken, -jen or -chen.

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm